Crushing Debt Podcast
Below is the episode you requested. Please feel free to load all episodes.
- Episode 238:The Student Loan Lawyers' Guide to Understanding...
What type of student loan do you have? Federal? Subsidized? Unsubsidized? Private?
What repayment options are there? Consolidation? PSLF? IDR? Settlement?
Can a bankruptcy discharge student loans and what are the options available in bankruptcy court?
This week's guest on the Crushing Debt Podcast is Joshua Cohen, the Student Loan Lawyer. Joshua's practice is focused solely on Student Loan resolutions. Today marks the release of his book, The Student Loan Lawyers' Guide to Understanding Student Loans in Plain English.
You can pick up a copy of Joshua's book on Amazon, or at www.TheStudentLoanLawyer.com/the-student-loan-lawyers-book.
Joshua and I discuss:
- The beta program here in Tampa Bankruptcy Court to resolve student loans in bankruptcy court;
- What is a PSLF (Public Service Loan Forgiveness) Loan;
- What is an IDR (Income Driven Repayment);
- How student loan repayments have been impacted by COVID and the CARES Act;
- In-roads into bankruptcy dischargeability brought about by some recent case law; and
- Student loan servicer sanction cases.
Finally, if you want to know what type of student loan you have, which often drives your available workout options, we have a website for you (but you have to listen to the episode to get it).
Please remember to visit our sponsor, Sam Cohen, if you are an attorney or title company that wants a competitive, realistic, apples-to-apples quote on malpractice insurance - Sam@AttorneysFirst.com or www.AttorneysFirst.com.
Some of these strategies discussed in this episode are also available in my new book, Become Debt Free in Less than One Hour, which is available at www.ShawnMYesner.com/BecomeDebtFree