Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Tampa Bankruptcy Lawyer
Free Initial Consultation*
There Are Always Options

What Is Joint & Several Liability?

When the bank takes the property back and pays the twelve months to the association. What happens to the balance, in essense? Good question. The statute says that the owner is jointly and severely liable with the previous owners.

It’s really, I think going to depend on counsel for the association. Some of the associations will say we bought it back you owe us X, we want to sell the property, we want to transfer the property the association might be a little more business minded, a little bit more “we want to get these property’s moving,” we’re not property managers, we’re a homeowners association and they may say you know if you want to buy it from the bank, fine, buy it from the bank, we’re good to go. Other associations may say it’s joint and several liability, you want to buy this house, you owe us X. Even though the mortgage company paid the twelve months or the 1%, there’s still a balance owed. Mr. Buyer you want to buy the house, you owe us the balance. Based on the joint and several liability, it’s really going to depend on the association, it’s really going to depend on counsel for the association. But, I’ve seen it go both ways. I’ve seen both of those scenarios come up.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
How Can We Help?

When we meet with clients for their free initial consultation*, one of the first questions we ask is, "What can we do to help?" We listen to our clients' concerns and work with them to build a strategy that meets their legal goals. Learn more about the counsel an experienced Tampa bankruptcy lawyer can provide by scheduling a free consultation. Complete our online contact form or call 727-261-0224.

Contact Information
Yesner Law

Yesner Law Countryside Colonial Center
2753 FL-580, Suite 106
Clearwater, FL 33761

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Youtube
  • Pintrest
  • iTunes
  • Stitcher
Visa, Mastercard, Discover
Shawn M. Yesner

“As an Amazon Associate I earn
from qualifying purchases.”

*Except for consultations regarding Homeowner or Condo Associations.